This salad is a wonderful way to take advantage of local Ontario apples. Pair them with shallots, maple syrup, and marjoram atop a bed of bitter greens to counter the sweetness of the apples. The walnuts add a richness to the smoked trout and salad as a whole to make this apple and smoked trout salad a delight for the palate.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced shallots
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh chopped marjoram (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 bunches watercress
- 8 oz (250 g) smoked trout
- 2 Ontario Apples, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted walnut pieces
- In container or bottle with lid, combine vinegar, syrup, shallots, marjoram, salt, pepper and olive oil. Cover with lid and shake well to combine.
- Fill sink or large basin with cold water. Wash watercress very well and dry on towel or in salad spinner. Arrange over 4 plates. Crumble trout over top and top with apples and walnuts. Drizzle with dressing just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Ontario Apple Growers.