Apple butter is a classic fall treat. Spread it over toast, top pancakes with it, or even glaze your favourite roasts or meats with it for an unforgettable dinner. All it takes is 2 lbs of Ontario apples: use a mixture of different types of apples. Try using Ontario Courtland, Jonathan, Empire, and Yellow Delicious for a delicious variety and flavour profile.
10 minPrep Time
70 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Ontario apples (about 5 large apples) peeled, cored and diced in 1/4-inch (5 mm) pieces
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple cider
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until apples are very tender and have darkened (about 60 to 70 minutes). Cool. Puree using blender or immersion blender. Transfer to clean container, cover and chill in refrigerator for up to two weeks.