Check out these avocado tips to up your butter superfruit game:
- Avocados that are slightly over ripe are perfect for making a dip! They are easy to mash and will give you a buttery, soft texture and delicious flavour.
- If you want an extra smooth guacamole, make it in a mini food processor or blender.
- One large avocado will give you about one cup mashed.
- If you are cooking with avocado, keep in mind they will turn slightly bitter when cooked, so add them at the end of the cooking process (i.e., adding to an omelette, etc.).
- Once home, pop out the avocado stem to look inside an avocado to know if it’s perfect for eating. If it’s too hard to pop out easily, then it’s not ripe yet. If it’s brown underneath, it’s over-ripened and not good to eat. If it’s a perfect, mellow green, then you know it’s good to eat!
- Try mashed avocado with egg or tuna salad instead of mayo. Avocados pair wonderfully and are good for you.
- Throw the avocado pit back into your leftover dip if you are storing. The pit also helps with reducing the amount of oxidization. Cover the dip making sure the plastic wrap is touching the top of the dip and the sides of the bowl making sure all air is removed.
- Use avocados to make creamy desserts such as a simple yet show-stopping Avocado Chocolate Mousse Tart.