Photo of Broccoli Soup by David Bagosy
Everyone loves this recipe because it is delicious, easy to make and healthy! It’s a creamy soup with absolutely no cream added and uses an entire head of broccoli. The soup is finished with lemon juice to add zip and the Parmesan gives it an added layer of richness. It’s so easy to make and can be simply pureed in the blender or your hand held immersion blender.
Serves Makes 5 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 medium potato, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 4 cups packed roughly chopped broccoli (about 1 pound, 454g)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Lemon, sliced into wedges
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring often until onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potato, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and chicken stock. Cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes and broccoli are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. (Remember - only fill blender half full each time)
- Return soup to pot; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve, garnishing each bowl of soup with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of lemon juice.
- Use the entire head of broccoli – even the stems and florets. First, peel away the tough skin of the stem then roughly chop into small pieces along with the florets.
- The potato is cut thin so that it cooks quicker.
- Slice a baguette into thin slices, sprinkle with grated old cheddar and place under the broiler until bubbly to make little cheese “toasties” to serve with the soup!
- You can substitute chopped onion for sliced leek, and chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- If the onion and garlic start to brown too quickly, add a splash of water to deglaze and stir.