If you only need the florets for a dish, do not throw out the stems. Peel them, blanch them for two minutes, and freeze them for up to 3 months. They can be used later in soups and stews. Alternatively, trim away the tough outer layer and eat the tender inner stalk raw while you are cooking!
- If you plan on using the stalks and florets in the same dish, begin cooking the stalks 1 to 2 minutes before adding the florets, as the stalks take longer to cook.
- The stems of broccoli are delicious in stir-fries and soups.
- Do not add acids like lemon or vinegar while cooking, as it will turn the broccoli a grayish-green colour. Add just before you’re ready to serve.
- Broccoli, broccolini, and cauliflower may be used interchangeably in many recipes.
- 1 pound of broccoli = 1 ½ cups sliced or chopped