Crepes are incredibly simple to make and this recipe includes common pantry ingredients that can be gathered to whip up these elegant and delicious buttered crepes with caramel Ontario peaches. Take advantage of the local growing season and make this for your next dessert or brunch!
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- A pinch of ground cloves
- Canola oil for the pan
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 4 Ontario peaches, washed and sliced
- In a large bowl, add milk, eggs, salt, sugar, vanilla, flour, butter, cinnamon and cloves and whisk until smooth. Allow batter to rest for 1 hour before using, alternatively batter may be prepared one day in advance.
- Over medium heat, lightly brush an 8-inch (20 cm) skillet or crepe pan with canola oil.
- Add a 1/4 cup (50 mL) of batter and quickly swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook until edges become dry and golden; about 1 minute.
- Using a spatula, flip the crepe and cook until golden brown on the other side. Transfer to a plate and continue steps with remaining batter.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add butter and sugar and cook until sugar is well dissolved. Add peaches and toss to coat. Cook for 3 minutes until soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Lay crepes on work surface and spoon caramel peaches equally in the centre of each crepe and gently roll. Place crepes on dessert plates and for an added touch, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.
This recipe was provided by our featured member, Vineland Growers.