Stay on track and make over traditional meatballs by using ground turkey – fresh button mushrooms add loads of flavour. Feel free to serve these creamy mushroom turkey meatballs over brown rice or other whole grain!
Serves 1/6 of recipe
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Button Mushrooms
- 1/2 Ontario Cooking Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb (500 g) ground turkey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- Pulse mushrooms, onion and garlic in food processor until very finely chopped; add breadcrumbs, cheese, thyme, salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined; add egg and turkey, pulsing just until incorporated (do not overmix). Transfer to bowl. Roll into 24 meatballs.
- In large, nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown meatballs, in batches, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden all over. Transfer to plate; tent with foil.
- Sauce: In same skillet, melt butter; cook onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper for 10 minutes or until very tender and lightly browned. Sprinkle flour into skillet; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in broth, stirring constantly, until well combined and smooth. Add cream and cheese; bring to simmer (do not boil). Return meatballs to skillet; cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add spinach; toss gently until wilted. Serve over egg noodles.
- These meatballs and sauce are also delicious served over cooked rice.