This moist tasty bread is perfect for a little snack and also makes a terrific hostess gift! The sweetness and citrusy tang of orange counterbalances the tart, cranberry flavour to create a delicious loaf that’s sure to brighten any table.
This moist, tasty bread is perfect for a little snack and also makes a terrific hostess gift!
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (170 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1/2 orange segmented, cut up small
- * If your orange is very large or juicy, you may wish to cut down on the juice just a little
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped cranberries
- Prepare a 9x5 inch (23x13 cm) pan. Grease with butter or cooking spray, then lightly flour OR line pan with parchment paper. Alternatively, use muffin liners to make regular or mini muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix in shortening until it is slightly crumbly in texture.
- Mix in eggs, orange juice, zest, orange and cranberries until combined.
- Pour into a prepared pan or muffin tins and bake for approximately 60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the loaf. Muffins will take less time and should be checked after 25 minutes.
- Cool for approx. 10 minutes, then flip to remove it from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Also freezes well.
You can use either fresh or defrosted cranberries. Alternatively, replace with 1/2 cup of dried cranberries.
If you are freezing, cut into slices and wrap in foil or a thick plastic bag recommended for freezers. Then enjoy a piece at a time!