No need to peel the tomatoes for this light, fresh tasting and healthy soup. Serve hot or cold!
Serves 1/4 recipe
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, (about 6-7), cut into chunks
- 1 large Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- ½ cup (125 mL) packed fresh basil leaves, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Garnish: plain yogurt, sliced fresh basil
- In large saucepan, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, broth, paste and 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the basil, coarsely chopped; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
- Puree tomato mixture in small batches in blender until smooth. Return to saucepan and add vinegar, remaining basil, (finely chopped) salt and pepper. Re-heat until hot.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of yogurt and additional basil, if desired.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 70 calories, 0 g total fat, 593 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 3 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin C. Good source of folate.