This recipe takes the mellow crisp sweetness of local Ontario Cold Snap™ pears, caramelizes it and pairs it with crispy fried goat cheese and roasted pecans. It’s the perfect holiday appetizer or party finger food!
- 2 cups (500 mL) Cold Snap™ pears, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb goat cheese cut into rough thin chunks about 1 inch long
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pecan pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg
- Add butter to a large, non-stick pan over medium heat. When the butter has come to a bubble, add the pears and sugar. Cook gently for about 10 minutes, until pears are beginning to soften.
- Increase heat to high and add lemon juice and honey. Glaze pears all over in heavily boiling caramel. Transfer to a bowl/sheet pan to cool.
- Set up a breading station; eggs, flour and panko in three separate bowls.
- Toss the cheese pieces (may have to put in freezer for 20 minutes if cheese is too soft) in the flour and then into the whisked egg dredge and finally in the panko breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Simply combine all ingredients and spread out on a parchment paper lined pan. Bake until lightly browned and aromatic, about 18 minutes.
- Quickly deep or shallow fry the cheese pieces until golden brown. Top with the pear compote and finally the pecan crumble. Enjoy in one tasty bite.