Bring the flavours of Spain to your next gathering with this appetizer featuring delicious Spanish ingredients. The Tempranillo wine reduction, drizzled atop the Persimon® wedges, adds a sophisticated touch to these tasty hors d’oeuvres.
Serves 1 crostini
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Tempranillo wine
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 5 whole peppercorns
- half cinnamon stick
- 16 slices of baguette
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 Persimon®, topped and sliced into 12 wedges
- 1 cup (250 ml) spinach leaves
- 50g (2oz) Manchego cheese, shaved
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 4000 F (200°C).
- Place all of the ingredients for the wine reduction in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by half, approximately 15 minutes.
- Brush each bread slice with olive oil and place on a bake sheet. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan on high and brush with olive oil. In batches, grill the Persimon® wedges
- minutes per side.
- To assemble the crostini place a few leaves of spinach on the crostini, top with Manchego cheese, followed by a grilled Persimon® wedge. Drizzle with wine reduction and serve immediately.
Tip * Instead of the reduction try melting a 1/4 cup (60 ml) of apricot jam in a saucepan and drizzling over the crostini.
% RDI: 4% calcium, 0% iron, 0% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C.
This recipe is provided thanks to Persimon, Kaki Ribera Del Xúquer, Foods from Spain, and the European Union.