While peaches are a wonderful healthy dessert on their own, people often forget they are great over savoury dishes too! This tangy and colourful Ontario peach salsa can be served with this pork tenderloin or even grilled chicken, with a side of grilled Ontario vegetables. The bright salsa looks like summer on a plate, perfect for a weekend meal out in the backyard!
Serves 1/4 recipe
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 Ontario Pork Tenderloins (about 2 lbs/500 g), trimmed
- 2 ripe, firm Ontario Peaches, peeled and diced (about 1 cup/250 mL diced)
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely diced Ontario Red Onion
- 1 Ontario Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sweet chili sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Combine oil, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt and 2 cloves minced garlic. Rub evenly over tenderloins; set aside for at least 15 minutes or longer in refrigerator.
- Peach Salsa: In small bowl, combine diced peaches, red onion, jalapeno, 1 clove minced garlic, lime juice, coriander, chili sauce (if using) salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve; serve at room temperature.
- Grill pork over medium-high heat, turning once, until meat thermometer reads 155 °F (75°C), about 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with peach salsa.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 303 calories, 14 g total fat, 526 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 31 g protein. Excellent source of thiamin, riboflavin and zinc. Good source of niacin.
Do you love local food? This recipe was contributed by Learn, Live, Love Local!