Sometimes simplicity can be stunning when it comes to featuring the simply delicious flavour of Ontario mushrooms. The tartness of goat cheese paired with roasted peppers and basil showcase Portabello mushrooms with an Italian flare. Try making these grilled portabello, red pepper, and goat cheese stacks at home!
- 6 large Portabello mushrooms
- 1 Bunch fresh basil
- 4 large roasted bell peppers (roasted at home or from a jar)
- ½ cup Olive oil
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Chopped thyme
- 1tsp Chopped Oregano
- 12oz Goat cheese Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat grill or oven to 450F. Remove mushroom teams and clean gills with a spoon.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to make a marinade. Toss mushrooms lightly in marinade then grill or bake in oven gill side up for 10 minutes. Allow to cool then slice each mushroom horizontally with a sharp knife.
- Take a slice of mushroom and lay thin slices of goat cheese to cover mushroom, add a layer of roasted pepper, whole basil leaves, then another thin layer of goat cheese. Repeat layers again and top off with a slice of mushroom.
- The mushroom stacks can be served cold or lightly heated in an oven or broiler. Extra marinade can be reserved and used as a dressing to accompany the dish.