Kale, sweet onions, white beans, parmesan and garlic combine to make a dip or crostini topper that will quickly become one of your favourite appetizers. This kale tapenade is as versatile as it is healthy: it is great on top of crostini’s, spread on sandwiches or tossed with pasta.
Makes about 2 cups (500 mL)
- 1/4 cup olive oil 50 mL
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion 125 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced 1
- 1/2 tsp minced long hot red pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 6 cups chopped, kale, stems removed 1.5 L
- 1 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained 250 mL
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 50 mL
- In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, hot pepper and salt. Cook one minute. Add kale, cook; stirring frequently, until kale has cooked down and there is no liquid, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In food processor, combine kale mixture and white beans. Process until smooth; adding additional olive oil if necessary. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Serve.