Serve up some simple but elegant layered passionfruit pudding for you and your special someone for a date night, special occasion, or Valentine’s! Granadilla has a vibrant flavour that adds sunshine to these desserts, making them the perfect ending for a romantic dinner or a treat-yourself kind of evening.
- 12 shortbread cookies
- 1 ¼ cup (310 mL) 35% whipping cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) condensed milk
- ¼ cup (60 mL) hot water
- 1 15 mL envelope unflavoured powdered gelatin
- 6 fresh yellow passionfruit
- Place cookies in a food processor and pulse until the cookies look like sand.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp of the ground cookies into the bottom of each serving glass, and press down gently with the back of a spoon. Cover the glasses with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
- Cut open the passionfruit and spoon the seeds into a bowl. Discard the skins.
- Set a fine sieve over another bowl, then add a few spoonfuls of passionfruit pulp (with seeds) into the sieve.
- Use a spoon to stir and press the pulp to extract the juice. Keep adding pulp to the sieve until you have extracted 6oz of juice. Reserve the remaining pulp and seeds for later.
- In a bowl, add 1 cup of whipping cream, as well as the condensed milk and passionfruit juice. Whip with a hand mixer until frothy, then set aside.
- Add ¼ cup whipping cream to a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin powder on top and stir until combine. Add the hot water and continue stirring until the mixture cools down a bit.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the passionfruit mixture and whip for about 2 minutes. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill until the pudding begins to set (it will become a bit firmer).
- Spoon a layer of passionfruit pudding on top of the cookie layer in the serving glasses. Then gently add another layer of ground cookies, and a top layer of pudding. Return the glasses to the fridge to chill for at least another 20 minutes.
- If using, add the passionfruit seeds on top before serving.
|Shareba Abdul is a blogger and freelance writer who specializes in food writing and photography. She creates recipes for home cooks and shares her restaurant experiences at InSearchOfYummyness.com.|