- Use a rasp to remove the zest to add the essence of lemon to a dish without the tartness. If you don’t have a rasp to remove the zest from a lemon, use a peeler. Peel the skin, then finely cut in into strips, and then mince.
- Before juicing a lemon, roll it on the counter under your palm, while adding a little pressure. This will soften up the lemon and make it easier to juice.
- To tell if a fruit is heavy for its size, pick up two and choose the heaviest one.
- Always zest your lemon before you cut it, as it is very difficult to zest it after it has been cut!
- If you don’t have a reamer to juice a lemon, a fork will do the trick.