Who doesn’t love meatball subs? Extend the life of your grocery budget by blending mushrooms and beef to make these mushroom meatballs extra juicy and tender.
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 package (227 g) sliced Ontario white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (60 mL) seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove Ontario garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh Ontario parsley, chopped
- 1 (650 mL) jar of marinara
- 5 white sub rolls
- 15 bocconcini medallions
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Spray shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl combine chopped mushrooms, beef, breadcrumbs, egg, shallot, garlic and parsley; mix until incorporated. Shape mixture into 11/2 inch meatballs. Place 1 inch apart in dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking dish and pour marinara over meatballs. Return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Assemble subs by spooning 5 meatballs onto sub roll. Top with warm marinara and three bocconcini medallions. Place subs on baking tray and broil on high until cheese is melted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of our featured member, Mushrooms Canada.