Blending mushrooms into your traditional childhood favourites is a fantastic way to stretch your budget and add extra nutrition! Even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy this sloppy joe—chances are, they won’t even notice the extra veggies!
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups (500 mL) coleslaw blend
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coleslaw dressing
- 8 oz fresh button (226 g) Mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 lb (340 g) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried minced onion
- 3/4 tsp (3.75 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- Toss the coleslaw with the green onion and dressing until well combined; set aside. Place the mushrooms and onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the ground beef and pulse until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushroom mixture and seasoning blend. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve on rolls topped with coleslaw.
Recipe courtesy of our featured member, Mushrooms Canada.