- Onions are one of the most common base ingredients for stir-fries, soups, stews and sauces.
- If you find your cutting board smelling slightly like onion even after cleaning it, give it a good scrub with baking soda and water. Alternatively, you can rub it with the flesh of half a lemon.
- Eating parsley will help neutralize the smell of onion on your breath. However, cooked onion leave virtually no lingering odour.
- Try grating an onion into your hamburger meat. As the burgers cook, the onion will add moisture and flavour.
- To mellow the flavour of sliced raw onion, run it under cold running water. This is a great trick for salsa and salads.
- According to the National Onion Association, onions bring tears to your eyes due to sulfuric compounds when cut. They recommend that you chill your onions for about 30 minutes before slicing them and cut into the root end of the onion last to reduce this effect. To minimize their pungency soak in ice water for up to an hour or run under cold water before for at least 1 minute.