These mushroom and tomato topped crostini can also be served sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese and heated until cheese melts.
Serves 2 appetizers
- 1 small Ontario Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 8 ozs (250 g) mixed Ontario Mushrooms, (shiitake, cremini, button etc)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes*
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 24 baguette slices
- In large skillet, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Cut mushrooms into half slices and add with the sun-dried tomatoes to skillet. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomato, basil, salt and pepper.
- Toast baguette slices in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 6 minutes, turning once, or until lightly browned.
- Serve mushroom topping warm or at room temperature on crostini.
* Sun-dried tomatoes softened in warm water, can also be used here.
Nutrients per serving (2 appetizers): 81 calories, 3 g total fat, 169 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 3 g protein.