This summery appetizer is perfect for a party or to enjoy with your family before dinner. It showcases Ontario’s sweet nectarines with the smokey flavour of pancetta. Nectarines and basil are a wonderful flavour pairing that adds a bite of fresh, garden flavour in this elegant appetizer.
Serves 2 appetizers
- 16 thin slices pancetta
- 2 firm, ripe Ontario Nectarines, pitted and cut into 8 wedges each
- Freshly ground pepper
- 16 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Toothpicks (optional)
- Balsamic glaze or aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Lay an uncurled pancetta slice on a flat work surface. Place a basil leaf on one end, top with nectarine wedge, and season with freshly ground pepper. Roll up pancetta to enclose nectarine wedge, leaving 2 ends exposed.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat half olive oil over medium heat. Add half wrapped nectarines and cook, turning occasionally, until pancetta is browned and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining oil and nectarine pieces.
- To Serve: insert toothpicks, if using, and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve warm.