Take two amazing foods and combine them for this ultimate game day appetizer! Pizza-stuffed potatoes are the most epic appetizers!
- 2 Ontario baking potatoes (Russets), unpeeled, washed
- 2 oz. (50 g) pepperoni slices, cut in quarters
- Other favourite pizza toppings such as sliced olive, bell peppers, etc. (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) soft margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) grated Cheddar cheese
- Use large sharp knife to cut potatoes in half lengthwise. For younger children, a parent should do the cutting. Use a fork to prick each potato skin three times.
- Place potatoes cut side down on microwaveable plate. Microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes, or until a fork pierces potato easily. Leave potatoes on plate, but remove plate from microwave and cover with clean tea towel for 5 minutes to let potatoes continue cooking.
- Mix pepperoni, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and margarine or butter in a bowl. Set aside.
- After potatoes have been under the tea towel 5 minutes, use a spoon to scoop out potato inside each half, leaving a thin layer of potato inside the skins. Put scooped potato into bowl of pepperoni mixture. Stir gently to mix together.
- Fill potato shells with potato-pepperoni mixture. Sprinkle tops with grated Cheddar cheese. To finish cooking, place on baking sheet and bake 15 to 20 minutes in a regular oven preheated to 400 F (200 C), until cheese is lightly browned. Or heat in toaster oven until cheese is browned.
This recipe was provided by The Ontario Potato Board.