Here’s a recipe game changer: Replace the apple sauce you might typically serve with pork chops with this tasty Persimon® chutney. Persimon® and pork chops are the most dynamic of duos.
Serves 1/4 of recipe
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shallots, finely diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pine nuts
- 2 cups (500 mL) Persimon®, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 4 bone-in loin pork chops, cut 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a small saucepan, add the olive oil and sauté the shallot on medium low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the pine nuts and stir till lightly toasted, 4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chops generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and add 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil. Put in the pork chops and sear for 5 minutes. Turn over and brown well on the second side for a total of 10 minutes.
- Add the Persimon® chutney to the skillet and sprinkle with cilantro. Place a lid on the skillet and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pork chops to a serving plate and top with compote.
% RDI: 6% calcium, 10% iron, 8% vitamin A, 20% vitamin C.
This recipe is provided thanks to Persimon, Kaki Ribera Del Xúquer, Foods from Spain, and the European Union.