Roasting is an easy way to get sweet, tender carrots. The dry heat from the oven draws out the natural sugars from the carrots, leaving them slightly caramelized. They make a great side for a variety of meat dishes.
4-6 side servings
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled (about 7 to 9 medium to large carrots)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ dried thyme (optional)
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice carrots diagonally into one inch-thick slices. Slice any thick pieces in half lengthwise so that everything is roughly the same size.
- Combine carrots, oil, salt, and thyme in a bowl and toss well to coat evenly.
- Transfer carrots to foil- or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
- Roast, tossing half way through with a spatula, until carrots are slightly browned and tender (about 20–25 minutes).
If you line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper you will protect your baking sheet from the carrots natural sugars that caramelize as they roast.
Make sure you place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. If the carrots roast too close to the bottom of the oven they will burn.
Carrots go well with rosemary, thyme, parsley or dill. Try experimenting!