The mild sweetness of Cold Snap™ pears paired with fresh rosemary and olive oil make this focaccia the perfect sandwich bread or accompaniment for your favourite soup.
2 hrPrep Time
20 minCook Time
2 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 Cold Snap™ pears, washed, cored and sliced into slices about 1/3 inch thick
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coarse sea salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) warm water
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry yeast
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) salt
- 3 3/4-4 1/4 cups (930-1060 g) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil plus more for the pan
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ªC).
- Toss the pears with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for ten minutes until just tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let sit for five minutes to dissolve the yeast. Add remaining ingredients, incorporating enough flour to make a smooth, soft dough.
- Knead for 3 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Set aside, covered, to rise for 45 - 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- On a baking sheet or a large cake pan, spread 2 tbsp (30 mL) of olive oil. Stretch the dough out by hand, patting into a rectangular shape about 12 x 18 inches. Let rise another 30 minutes. With oiled fingers, poke holes in the dough approximately 2 inches apart. Let rest for ten minutes. Sprinkle the top with the roasted pears, fresh rosemary leaves and coarse salt. Bake for 20 minutesuntil golden brown.