Get your Omegas with this sesame salmon and quick pickled Ontario greenhouse cucumbers! Serve the salmon and cucumbers with a side of steamed brown rice or fragrant jasmine rice. For spicy kick, add 1 tsp (5 mL) hot sauce to the glaze!
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 (5 ounce) salmon fillets, skin on
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on an angle
- Quick-Pickle Cucumbers: Stir the vinegar with the sugar and salt. Place the cucumber slices in a large jar; pour the vinegar mixture overtop. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- Salmon: Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Stir the maple syrup with the soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger. Brush half of the sauce over the salmon fillets. Marinade for 15 minutes. Transfer salmon to prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through and flakes easily. Serve salmon with reserved sauce and pickled cucumbers; garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1 salmon fillet with 1/2 cup/125 mL pickles): Calories 342, Fat 14g, Cholesterol 87mg, Sodium 733mg, Carbohydrates 15g, Fibre 0.5g, Sugar 6.5g, Protein 32g