Packed with apple flavour, these spiced caramel apple cupcakes appeal to both kids and adults alike! Drizzle with caramel for an extra touch of decadence.
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 2 Ontario Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) buttermilk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar, for dusting
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt; set aside. Grate 1 of the apples. Slice remaining apple into 24 slices; toss with lemon juice and maple syrup. Set aside.
- In bowl, beat butter with brown sugar using electric beaters until light and fluffy; beat in egg. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
- With mixer on low, alternately add flour mixture in 3 parts and buttermilk in 2 parts, starting and ending with the flour mixture; scrape down bowl as needed between additions. Fold in grated apple.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; top each with 2 slices of apple. Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Let cool completely; dust cupcakes with icing sugar.
Nutritional Info: Per 1 cupcake: about 170cal, 3 g protein, 6 g total fat (3.5 g sat fat), 26 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 30 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium. % RDI: 6% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C, 6% calcium, 6% iron.
This recipe is kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Apple Growers.