Highlight the beauty of Ontario-grown greenhouse vegetables with roasted garlic, fresh herbs, and a splash of lime! This spinach salad is bright, flavourful, and good anytime of the year!
- 8 cloves of roasted garlic
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. (15 g) chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- ½ cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz. (280 g) Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced in ¼ inch thick pieces
- 10 oz. (280 g) spinach
- Roasted garlic vinaigrette
- 3 Ontario greenhouse cocktail tomatoes, quartered
- Thinly shaved Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, onion, honey, lime juice, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, then add the olive oil until emulsified.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until lightly brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Toss the spinachin a large bowl with ¼ cup (60 ml) of vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the tomatoes in a separate bowl with a few drops of vinaigrette to coat.
- Arrange the arugula among four plates. Place the Ontario greenhouse tomatoes and chorizo around the perimeter of the plates. Garnish with shaved cheese, chopped cilantro and drizzle the remaining vinaigrette.
Per Serving (254 g): Calories 670, Fat 61 g (94 %), Saturated Fat 16 g + Trans Fat 0 g (80 %), Cholesterol 70 mg, Sodium 1030 mg (43 %), Carbohydrate 13 g (4 %), Fibre 2 g (8%), Sugars 7 g, Protein 21 g, Vit A (6 %), Vit C (35 %), Calcium (15 %), Iron (20 %).
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers.