With vegetable fries being the new “thing” right now, potatoes aren’t the only ones getting the fried attention. Avocados, green beans, and zucchini fries are all the rage. These turnip fries are a surprisingly amazing way to enjoy turnips! Their natural sweetness is brought out with the apple cider vinegar, and their peppery goodness is complemented with the garlic powder. With a little flour and bread crumbs to make the perfect, crispy crust, these turnip fries are delicious as an appetizer or a healthy after school snack!
Just a tip, make sure you eat them right away! They’re perfectly crisp and wonderful fresh out of the oven, but will lose their structure once cold. In any case, they’re so good, it’s hard to believe they’ll last more than 5 minutes on the table without being gobbled up!
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 6-7 medium-sized turnips (3-4 inches in diameter)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast OR parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC)
- Use a soft brush to scrub the turnips under running water. Trim the tops of turnips and cut into fries (a little under half-inch thick).
- [img src="http://producemadesimple.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/cut-turnip-fries-300x200.jpg" width="300" height="200" class="aligncenter size-medium" title="cut-turnip-fries"]
- In a large mixing bowl, add olive oil and apple cider vinegar and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, mix salt, garlic powder, flour, breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast (or cheese) until combined. In batches, toss turnip fries in the breading to coat.
- [img src="http://producemadesimple.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Tossing-to-coat-turnip-fries-200x300.jpg" width="200" height="300" class="aligncenter size-medium" title="Tossing-to-coat-turnip-fries"]
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until browned and crisp.
- [img src="http://producemadesimple.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Turnip-fries-before-oven-200x300.jpg" width="200" height="300" class="aligncenter size-medium" title="Turnip-fries-before-oven"]
- Serve immediately with chipotle mayo!
This recipe was developed and shot by Lisa Le. the Toronto-based vegan food blogger behind The Viet Vegan (formerly Je suis alimentageuse). She blogs about food with stories about Vietnamese culture, nerdism, feminism, and her life sprinkled in on top.