A seemingly sophisticated dish, you’ll be shocked by just how quickly this vegan salad comes together. If you’re up for using more ingredients than the five we call for, sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds for a burst of colour and an extra dose of nutrition. Ingredients like olive oil, salt and pepper are not part of the “five” for this recipe.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1 – 1 ½ lbs)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, discolored leaves discarded, and stems left intact
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (approx. 2 lemons)
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- Preheat oven to 450°F and position the racks in the upper and lower third parts of the oven.
- Slice cauliflower vertically, creating ¾-inch thick steaks as you cut through the stalk. You should end up with at least 4 steaks. Trim away some of the stem and leaves. Place cauliflower in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat.
- Place the chickpeas on a second baking sheet. Drizzle with two tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Using your fingers, toss to coat.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is browned and the chickpeas are crispy. Flip the cauliflower halfway through the cooking time and rotate the baking sheets from top to bottom.
- Meanwhile, holding each Brussels sprout by stem end, cut into very thin slices using a sharp knife. Place in a bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss to combine with your hands in order to separate the leaves. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together tahini, ¼ cup water, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the brussels sprouts evenly between four plates. Top with a cauliflower steak and scatter chickpeas over top. Spoon dressing over the entire plate and serve at once.