For Taco Tuesday, try something a little different! Swap out the typical wrap or hard taco shell for a base of baked sweet potato! It’s high in fibre and packed full of vitamins A, B6 and C, not to mention a source of potassium and magnesium and even iron!
If you don’t have time to oven bake your sweet potatoes, try prepping them quickly in your microwave!
How to Microwave: To cook a whole unpeeled sweet potato in the microwave, prick it several times with a fork, wrap it in a paper towel, and cook on high for 5 to 7 minutes; halfway through cooking, turn the potato over. Let it cool for 2 minutes before serving.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 lb (453 g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup (170 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, green onions, jalapeño rings
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Generously poke the potatoes with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake, turning once, until you can prick them easily with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Let the potatoes cool enough to handle. Cut a thin piece off the top of the potato, reveling the flesh underneath. Spoon out the flesh of the potato into the bowl, leaving a 1/4” of the potato around the edges for support.
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the seasoning mix, then the water, and continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and the sour cream.
- Mash the potato flesh that was scooped into the bowl.
- Add the ground beef mixture to the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Fill the potatoes full of the ground beef mixture, then top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the potatoes back into the oven until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Add toppings as desired.
Recipe kindly provided by our featured member, Berlo’s Best.