Try this apple fennel chicken sheet pan dinner tonight! This is a tasty dish that is easy to prepare and looks very pretty when you use red apples. We like cooking with a combination of two different Ontario apples for added interest. This recipe was tested using Empire and Gala apples.
- 10 to 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 Fennel bulb, fronds removed, cut into 2-cm slices. Reserve fronds.
- 1 small Ontario Yellow Onion, peeled and cut into 2-cm slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (or neutral-flavoured oil)
- 2 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 2 small-medium Ontario apples, cored and cut into 2-cm slices
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional: Arils (seeds) from ½ fresh pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large (or two small) baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone line; set aside.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel and place in a large bowl. Add fennel and onion to chicken bowl.
- In small bowl, combine garlic, oil, vinegar and sage. Stir well. Set aside ½ tablespoon of the mixture, and pour the remaining over the chicken, fennel and onion; toss to combine.
- Place reserved sauce in a small bowl and add the apple; mix well.
- Spread chicken, fennel and onions evenly over the prepared baking sheet. Generously season with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven and add the apple. Flip over the fennel and onion pieces with tongs to ensure even browning. Return to oven and bake until chicken is golden and crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds and pomegranate arils (if using) and serve at once.