You know it’s fall when apples are abundant and ripe for the picking! Turn that bushel of apples into this beautiful apple strata. It’s simple to whip together and easy to make, and is guaranteed to fill your home with the scent of baked apples, cinnamon and sugar.
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 Ontario apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly grated lemon zest
- 8 cups (2 L) cubed day-old egg bread (challah or brioche)
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) 10% cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat. Add apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until apples are soft and tender. Stir in lemon zest. Cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 9-inch (22 cm) square baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk cream with eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt. Add bread, toss to coat then let stand for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread has absorbed the egg mixture.
- Transfer half of the bread mixture to prepared dish. Spoon apple mixture evenly over top and place remaining bread mixture on top. Press down, sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and strata is set. Sprinkle with pecans. Cool slightly. Stir yogurt with maple syrup. Serve with strata.