This baked mushroom topped brie is a showstopping appetizer! To barbecue, place cheese on pre-soaked cedar plank and barbecue, covered over medium –high heat for 8-10 minutes. For smaller groups, bake and top one half of the cheese at a time; wrap the other half securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- ½ lb (250 g) fresh sliced Mushrooms (white or crimini)
- ½ cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped onions
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 (200g) wheel cold Brie cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely minced fresh parsley or chives (optional)
- Finely chop mushrooms, onions, walnuts and garlic, thyme, rosemary and pepper in food processor.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushroom mixture for 5-7 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in vinegar and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature; cover and chill.
- At serving time slice the wheel of Brie in half horizontally and place cut side up on oven -proof serving plate or baking pan.
- Spoon the topping evenly on cut surfaces of Brie. Bake in 350ºF/180 ºC oven for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is beginning to melt.
- Sprinkle parsley or chives on top to garnish if desired.
- Serve with thinly sliced whole wheat baguette or plain crackers.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Mushrooms Canada