Baked pears are a simple yet comforting dessert that you can serve to family and friends. This healthy dessert is sweetened naturally with a touch of honey, a crunch of pecans and lightly flavoured with fresh orange zest. These Cold Snap™ pears are locally grown in Canada and feature a firm yet sweet pear for those who prefer pears with a little bit of bite!
Chef Jan-Willem Stulp
- 2 Cold Snap™ pears, washed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pecan pieces
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) local honey
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (162ºC).
- Slice the top third off the pear and 1/4 inch off the bottom. Dice the pear from both parts, removing stem and bottom of the bud.
- Core the pear with a melon baller.
- Combine the honey, diced pear and pecans, vanilla, and fill the pears.
- Place in a baking dish, add ¼ inch of water, and roast for 40 minutes until the pears caramelize and become tender.
- Serve with ice cream or Chantilly.