You will be amazed at how delicious this simple, yet sweet treat is. You can make your own balsamic reduction, or save time and buy some from the store. Often, this is sold as a “balsamic glaze”. This creative alternative to serving strawberries will be a recipe you come back to – it’s so good but does not require a lot of time, nor effort. Using the consistently sweet Ontario greenhouse berries will also ensure that you are happy with the result every time!
- 2 packages (approx. 1 ½ lbs.) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar, honey or maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 scoops vanilla ice-cream, optional
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, toss the strawberries, vinegar and sugar. Season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate for up to 1 hour to allow flavors to develop.
- Spoon the berries between four ramekins or martini glasses and top each with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Garnish with mint leaves just before serving.
For more information about Ontario Grown Greenhouse YES!Berries strawberries, click here!