- For the Salad
- 1 cup hulled barley, uncooked
- 14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- For the Dressing:
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. grapeseed oil or other flavorless oil
- 1 T. dijon mustard
- 1 T. honey
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/8 t. black pepper
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Once the water is boiling add some salt and the cup of hulled barley then turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer the barley for 45-60 minutes or until the barley is cooked but still chewy.
- Drain and rinse the barley in cool water, then set aside in a bowl. Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas, celery, green onion, and toasted almonds to the barley.
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and add them to the barley, tossing until everything is coated. Add in the cherries and crumbled goat cheese and gently fold them into the salad.
- Serve the salad immediately or refrigerate for up to an hour before serving.
If you don’t plan on serving the salad right away reserve the cherries and toasted almonds and add them right before you serve to prevent the cherries from bleeding in the salad and the almonds from turning soft.
Thanks to our friends at Fruits from Chile for kindly providing this recipe.