Need a filling and delicious stew? Try this barley and vegetable stew with warm spices like curry powder and paprika and a pot full of delicious seasonal veggies: butternut squash, parsnip, and carrots! These warm hues will brighten up the winter months and keep you full with the nutritional goodness of veggies and barley!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 parsnip diced
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 540ml tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Add onions, garlic, carrots, parsnip and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add squash, curry powder, paprika, and thyme. Sauté for 2 more minutes and add red peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and 1 cup vegetable stock. Reduce heat and continue to simmer for 20 minutes
- While cooking vegetables in a large sauce pan, add barley to 2 cups vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally)
- When barley is fully cooked, add to stew and stir to incorporate barley and vegetables.
- In a small bowl combine sour cream, mint and lemon juice mix well and place a spoonful over stew.
This recipe was developed by Chef D, otherwise known as Darryl Fletcher. Chef D is a regular guest on TV shows across Canada, sharing delicious recipes with an informative and approachable flair. He also is the host of his own tv shows, At Home with Chef D and Chefdtv.com.