Mahy from Two Purple Figs loves making these beet pancakes on a weekend morning with her daughter, who prefers them with a cream cheese sauce over maple syrup, making them feel like a fancy dessert. These pancakes have a rich pink colour with a distinct flavor from the beets which pairs beautifully with the cream cheese icing.
Makes 10 large fluffy pancakes or 12 medium sized pancakes.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup puréed Ontario beets (from 4-5 cooked medium size beets)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Butter for greasing the skillet.
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk (depending on how thick you prefer the sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Extra confectioner sugar for dusting (optional)
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk well. Add the remaining ingredients to the batter and use a spatula to mix the batter, avoid over mixing.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and grease lightly with butter.
- Scoop in 1/3 cup of the pancake batter in the skillet and cook the pancake for 2 minutes before flipping it to the other side and cooking it for another 2 mins. Remove the pancake to a plate, and repeat with the remaining batter greasing the skillet after each time.
- Prepare the cream cheese sauce by mixing in all ingredients in a bowl and adjust consistency by adding more or less of the milk.
- Pour the icing over the stack of beet pancakes and dish with extra confectioners sugar if you need to.
- Serve right away and enjoy with some blueberries.
- Makes 10 large fluffy pancakes or 12 medium sized pancakes.
Recipe created by Mahy from Two Purple Figs