A decadent do-ahead appetizer, blueberries from Chile are simmered with sugar, vinegar and juice until thickened and spooned over Brie-topped toasts. Sprinkle with candied almonds for a flourishing finish, if desired.
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, minced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 6‐8 oz. brie,sliced
- 16 slices of baguette, toasted
- optional garnish: chopped candied almonds
- Sauté onion in olive oil in a medium sauté pan until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mint, blueberries,
- sugar, vinegar and juice. Cook until juice reduces and sugar dissolves, 10 to 15 minutes. Let mixture cool
- to warm or room temperature.
- To assemble: Arrange baguette slices on platter. Top with a slice of brie. Spoon on blueberry compote. If desird, garnish with chopped candied almonds.
- Serve at room temperature.
This recipe is kindly provided by Fruits from Chile, courtesy of the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council.