Asparagus is extremely versatile and has the perfect form for finger food (but you can also stick to using cutlery if you so choose). These breaded asparagus spears are perfectly crisp and cheesy thanks to the Parmesan and panko crumbs. Finish them off with this smokey and creamy maple bacon dip, and you have a delicious appetizer that’s perfect for Game Day, girls night, and anything in between!
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Scotlynn Sweetpac Growers.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 g) Scotlynn Sweetpac asparagus spears, blanched
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 oz (114 g) thick sliced smoked maple bacon
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Create a breading station by placing the flour and beaten eggs in separate shallow dishes.
- Combine the Panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese, and place in a third dish.
- Dredge each asparagus spear in flour, dip into the beaten eggs, and then dredge again in the Panko crumbs.
- Place the spears in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into 1/4 inch cubes. Add the bacon to a frying pan and render down until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, cream cheese and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Then gently stir in the crispy bacon.
- When asparagus spears are done baking, remove then from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve with the maple bacon dip and enjoy!
Love local asparagus? Here are 30 more delicious recipes to try!