Quiche seemed to go out of fashion but we think it’s time that it make a triumphant comeback! Quiche are perfect for entertaining because they taste delicious and are economical, using everyday ingredients. Plus, they should be made ahead of time, so you can just slice and enjoy when you are ready to serve. Perfect for a family brunch, a buffet table or even paired with a green salad to enjoy for lunch or dinner, you can’t go wrong with quiche! We’ve used broccoli in this recipe but you could substitute a variety of other veggies. Just sauté them first to ensure they are aren’t too watery, and will be the correct texture. You can even double the recipe and make two at the same time so you can freeze one to enjoy at a later date!
1 hrPrep Time
2 hrCook Time
3 hrTotal Time
- SHORT CRUST
- 2 cups (500 mL) All Purpose Flour – plus more for dusting
- 10 Tbsp (150 mL) Unsalted Butter – chilled and cubed
- Pinch of Flaked Sea Salt
- Ice Water, as needed (approx. 1 Tbsp/15 mL)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 head of Broccoli – trimmed and rinsed
- 3 Shallots - trimmed, peeled, and finely sliced
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% Cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% Milk
- 8 oz (225 g) Gouda or Cheddar Cheese – grated
- To taste, Fresh Chives – rinsed and finely sliced
- To taste, Flaked Sea Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- CRUST INSTRUCTIONS
- Insert the large metal chopping blade into the large work bowl of the food processor.
- Combine flour and salt and process for 10 seconds to sift.
- Add butter, pulse using quick, short pulses until the mixture resembles sand, approx. 10-12 pulses.
- Slowly incorporate ice water as needed, very slowly, adding until dough comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and form into disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, pressing flat, refrigerate for 1 hour minimum, or place in freezer.
- Position rack in center of oven, preheat to 350°F (176°C), gas mark 4.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface slightly wider than the pie plate.
- Roll dough up on a rolling pin to gently transfer to the pie dish, press dough evenly into pie dish.
- Perforate crust with fork on the bottom and sides.
- Line dough with parchment paper, fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven, remove parchment with pie weights.
- Return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- FILLING INSTRUCTIONS
- Heat a large, heavy-bottom sauté pan over medium-high heat, add butter and olive oil.
- When bubbling and fragrant, add shallots and broccoli, season with salt and pepper, sauté until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, then arrange broccoli and shallots evenly in the baked pastry dish.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, cream, milk, cheese, and chives. Pour mixture over broccoli and shallot filling.
- Season with salt and pepper, bake until light golden brown and surface is firm; approx. 50-60 minutes.
- Allow quiche to cool before unmolding or serving.
Watch this recipe video!
Recipe developed by Chef Jonathan Collins and featured on The Kitchen Life Live with Produce Made Simple.
A passionate chef and father who loves to share his experiences in cuisine and life, Chef Jonathan Collins has cooked for presidents, prime ministers, billionaires, celebrities and even royalty! A graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, Jonathan has developed a signature style by blending North American, European and Asian influences with a French foundation and distinct Canadian identity, emphasizing fresh, local, seasonal ingredients.