Create a unique and delicious broccoli salad with your own favourite foods! With the simple base of broccoli and onion, you’ll find that you will make this again and again. It’s perfect to make ahead for a party, or for a busy week. If you have leftovers, it’s also great for a packed lunch the next day.
- 2 heads of raw broccoli, washed and cut into bite sized pieces*
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or cut into small pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated old Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped nuts (Try walnuts, pecans or almonds)
- 1 cup (250 mL) washed and cubed cucumber
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisons or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white sugar
- 2/3 cup (170 mL) mayonnaise (or plain, stained yogurt)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine broccoli and onion, plus your choice of additions in a large bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad until evenly coated.
- Cover and leave in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
*This is usually the amount sold by stores.
You could also substitute the red onion for a sweet, Vidalia onion.