Broccolini tempura is a fantastic way to enjoy these gorgeous veggies. Batter sticks to the florets to create extra crispiness and crunch while the stems get tender and delicious! Dip in your favourite sauce but soy sauce is a classic!
- 1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (90 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches Mann’s Broccolini®
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) water, ice cold
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce, or teriyaki sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) flour, sifted
- lemons, wedged
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Stir together soy sauce, water, rice, vinegar, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Just before serving, stir in scallion. Serve immediately.
- Preheat 2″ of oil to 375° F, on a deep-fry thermometer. Preheat oven to 300° F. In large bowl, mix together water, soy sauce and egg.
- Add flour and mix lightly until batter is just blended. (Some lumps are okay.)
- Working in small batches, dip Mann’s Broccolini® in batter and deep-fry about 30 seconds until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in the oven while you fry the remaining Broccolini.
- Serve warm, with lemon wedges on the side.
Calories 540 Calories from Fat 250 l Total Fat 28g (sat fat 8g trans 0g) l Cholesterol 60mg l Sodium 2610mg l Total Carbohydrate 58g l Dietary Fiber 6g l Sugars 31g l Protein 16g l Vitamin A 20% l Vitamin C 90% l Calcium 10% l Iron 25%
This recipe was courtesy of our featured member, Mann’s!