This delicious soup combines the flavours of Savoy cabbage, sweet onion and celery, sweetened with apples and deepened with smoky Chorizo. The best part? It can be prepared in under half an hour!
- 1/2 lb (250g) smoked sausage (such as Spanish Chorizo), diced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced celery
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced, cored Savoy cabbage
- 2 medium apples, cored and diced (Golden Delicious are a great choice for this)
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish, if desired
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add diced smoked sausage. Cook, stirring until crisp, approximately 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pot and drain on paper towels.
- In same pot (do not wipe clean) add onion, celery and thyme. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add apples and cooked sausage to pot and stir to combine.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until apples are tender and flavours have developed, approximately 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle into warmed bowls and top with parsley. Serve with warm buttered corn bread for dipping, if desired.