Add a sweet apple twist to this classic dessert! This caramelized apple sundae with crunchy granola to add something hot, something crunchy, to complement this creamy, incredible sundae!
- 3 Ontario apples (McIntosh or Spy), peeled, cored and cut into 12 wedges (per apple)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% cream
- 6 cups (1.5 L) vanilla frozen yogurt (or ice cream)
- 1 cup (250 mL) crunchy granola
- In large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In large heavy skillet over medium-high heat melt butter. Add sugar and stir until it has completely dissolved and is dark amber in colour. Add the apples with their juices and reduce to low. Cook, stirring often, until the apples are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla and cream and transfer apples to a large bowl. Let cool, cover and transfer to fridge to chill and thicken (at least one hour and up to 2 days).
- For each serving, place 2 caramelized apple wedges in a sundae glass. Top with a scoop of frozen yogurt, 2 caramelized apple wedges and some granola. Repeat frozen yogurt, apple, and granola layers. Top with additional whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
Per serving: about 690 cal, 8 g pro, 22 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 121 g carb, 4 g fibre, 75 mg chol, 220 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 2%, calcium 25%, vit A 15%, vit C 10%
This recipe is kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Apple Growers.