This caramelized onion tart featuring Ontario onions is an easy holiday appetizer that is sure to impress any guest this season. The sweet caramelized onions pair well with the buttery pastry, creamy goat cheese and peppery arugula.
- For the caramelized onions:
- 2 Ontario onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- For the tart:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (recommend using the frozen one and thawing in the fridge overnight or as per package directions)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Caramelized onions
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Handful of arugula leaves
- Heat oil in a skillet over low-medium heat. Add the onions and stir them to coat with the oil and arrange evenly in the pan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, then season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir. Continue to stir them or move them around every few minutes to ensure they are browning evenly. If you find the onions are burning or looking dry, reduce the heat to low. Cook them for another 30 minutes or until they are very soft and deeply caramelized. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly sprinkle it with flour. Roll out the sheet of puff pastry onto the lined baking tray into an 11x9 rectangle or any shape you want so that it is about 1/8 inch thick. If you are using pre-rolled puff pastry, feel free to leave it as is or roll it to be slightly thinner.
- Brush the pastry with the olive oil and arrange the caramelized onions evenly over top, leaving about a ½ inch border of pastry all around.
- Top with the crumbled goat cheese.
- Brush the sides of the pastry with the egg wash for a more golden brown and crispy pastry edge.
- Baked for 15-20 minutes until the edges of the pastry have puffed and the bottom is brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then scatter the arugula over top.
- For larger pieces, slice into 6 squares. For a smaller appetizer bite, cut into 12 squares. Enjoy!