Creamy, sweet and flavourful mashed potatoes are so good, you won’t need to drown them in gravy. With creamy goat cheese and garlic flavour, these caramelized onion mashed potatoes are bound to be a holiday staple because they’re just that good.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 + 2 tbsp (total of 1/4 cup or 60 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sugar
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) EarthFresh mashing potatoes, peeled & cut into even-sized pieces
- 1.5 cups (475 mL) half and half cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) goat cheese
- To make the caramelized onions: heat 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and stir them. Add sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the half and half cream, garlic, bay leaves, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Drain the potatoes and pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl. Gently stir in the hot cream mixture until the potatoes are smooth. Discard the garlic clove and bay leaf. Alternatively, you can simply pass the garlic clove through the ricer with the potatoes to get a bit of extra flavour.
- Set aside a small amount of the caramelized onions for garnish and stir the remaining onions into the mashed potatoes. Crumble the goat cheese into the potatoes and stir to combine well. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve potatoes and garnish with the remaining caramelized onions.