Looking to change up your Sunday pancake routine? This recipe has veggie goodness with the addition of grated carrots. It will remind you of your favourite carrot cake!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated peeled carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped pecan halves
- ¼ cup raisins, roughly chopped
- Vegetable oil, as needed for cooking
- To serve: Pure maple syrup, as needed for topping
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a large bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the carrots, pecans and raisins.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. It’s okay if the batter is lumpy. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil, use a paper towel to wipe a thin layer of oil over the surface.
- Scoop batter into the pan and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, until the tops are bubbly and the edges look dry. Flip and cook until done, 1 to 3 minutes, depending on the size of the pancake. Repeat the process with any remaining batter, greasing the pan as needed. Cook as many pancakes at once as your pan will allow.
- Serve at once with maple syrup.
Recipe Kindly Provided by Gwillimdale Farms