There’s nothing quite like a quick meal that’s full of veggies to come home to. Rice is a classic staple: it’s filling, sweet, starchy and full of energy, but full of simple carbohydrates. For a filling, extra nutritious yet carb-light alternative, swap out white rice for cauliflower rice. Simple to make, tasty and replaces rice extremely well, cauliflower stir fried rice makes for a fast meal chock full of veggies. Swap in your favourites: green beans, edamame, purple cabbage, other mushroom varieties, zucchini—anything your family prefers. This speedy dinner meal is good for using up leftover veggies and makes a great lunch the next day.
Cauliflower fried rice is extremely easy to make. Simply cut the cauliflower into smaller florets, cutting away the tougher stem. Feel free to reserve the stem for a soup stock or chopping and adding to a stew (or even adding to stir fry). To make the cauliflower rice, grate using a box grater or pulse in a large food processor until you have your desired consistency. One large head of cauliflower yields about 8 cups of cauliflower rice. You can use the cauliflower rice in a variety of ways, including taco stuffing, cauliflower pizza crust, or making cauliflower rice bowls. Be creative, have fun, and be happy knowing that you’re eating super nutritious cauliflower instead of starchy, carb-heavy rice!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 cooking onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 block firm tofu, pressed and drained, diced
- 3 cremini mushrooms, chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (add more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp mushroom broth granules (or you can add more soy sauce)
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, diced
- 1 corn cob cooked, kernels cut (1/2 cup corn kernels)
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1/2 cup chopped snow peas
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper to taste
- Preheat a pan over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add sunflower oil and onions into the pan and cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and stir to cook until fragrant.
- Add tofu and mushrooms and season with 1 tbsp soy sauce, dried chili flakes, and 1 tbsp mushroom broth granules (or 2 tbsp soy sauce if you're not using mushroom broth). Stir to cook until browned and mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrot and bell peppers and cook for another 5 minutes. Add corn, peas, and chopped snow peas and cook again, 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Finally add the cauliflower rice and season to taste with additional soy sauce, mushroom broth granules, and black pepper. Stir to cook until cauliflower rice has softened and absorbed the flavours of all the veggies, about 5 minutes.
|Lisa Le is the Toronto-based vegan food blogger behind The Viet Vegan. She blogs about food with stories about Vietnamese culture, nerdism, feminism, and her life sprinkled in on top.|